Butternut Farm was built by Jonathan Hale, beginning in 1720. Innkeeper Don Reid acquired the house in 1959 and began painstakingly restoring the interior of this classic colonial home to its original condition by exposing the original wide brick fireplaces, uncovering the broad floorboards and removing later paint from the wealth of paneling on many of the rooms’ walls.
Hand-hammered hinges and other hardware, eight paneled fireplaces, handsome summer beams, and cornice detailing are but a few of the many fine features. Visitors come simply to see the extraordinary collection of eighteenth-century Connecticut antiques. Cherry six board chests, candlestands, ball-foot “hired-man” beds, pencilpost cherry beds, gateleg tables, candlesticks, early eighteenth-century banister-back chairs, pewter, and a fine collection of English Delft are but a sampling.